Saturday, June 23, 2007

23.06.07 - En route to Berlin!

Hello again! Today I'm in Dresden, and this afternoon we leave for Berlin where we spend 2 nights! Yesterday was long and interesting....our train was (of course, knowing our luck) late leaving Prague. Oh well, no big deal, it was only about a 2.5 hour trip anyway. We got across the Czech border and its amazing the immediate difference between Eastern and Western Europe. Its crazy how noticeable it is. Dresden is a beautiful city....it reminds me a bit of Tours in the size of it. It is a big city, however not nearly as big as Paris or Vienna or any of those cities. We found our hostel around 5:00 pm and then went out to find some food, and to wander a bit. Everything is much closer here than it appears on a map. We walked to all the main historic sites last night! I saw everything I wanted to, so I'm pretty much ready to move on to our next city!

We had dinner at the Kebap place just next door to our hostel, and the Kebap guy was totally flirting with Katherine! So funny....she was so awkward about it! Good times though, it made me laugh for quite a while.

We walked through the Albertplatz, and down a beautiful pedestrian traffic only street and straight to the river. We saw the Golden Rider, the old Palace, the opera house, the catholic cathedral (absolutely GORGEOUS building!), the Zwinger museum, the Church of the Holy Cross and the Church of Our Lady. Beautiful buildings, all of them. It really is heartbreaking though, because all of these buildings I've mentioned are blackened from the top down, from the bombings. It is so sad that so much damage remains from that time. It is a fabulously gorgeous city though.

Today has been quite fun as well! We got up and showered and packed our things so we could check out and leave our backpacks in luggage storage. Then we rented bikes (they were insanely old, and free!!!) from our hostel, and rode down into town. We split up and I just rode for a short while (its cold and drizzly today).... I must say though, I was very proud of myself for being able to ride in a foreign city....I don't even remember the last time I was on a bike!! So crazy....but definitely a good time. I think I'll go now to the cafe down the street and just wait for Katherine. Miss you all so much, and keep writing, I love hearing from you all!!

OH! and by the way, congratulations to Lacey!!!! She and Eric are having another boy!!!! YAY!

No comments: